This story is part of Eat It or Leave It?, a series that provides a closer look at the pros and cons associated with certain foods and drinks – and cooking options if you decide to eat them. Just a couple of calories a cup, good old black coffee packs quite a punch. It wakes…

(Getty Images) Having a limb amputated can be traumatic, yet experts say not enough is being done to prevent a common disease that can lead to limb loss. Critical limb ischemia, or CLI, is a severe form of peripheral artery disease, a narrowing of the arteries of the extremities that typically affects the legs. At…

(monkeybusiness/envato elements) Genetics are at the core of some congenital heart defects, and a new scientific statement could help guide doctors in new information and testing techniques that not only could help patients but also their families. The report from the American Heart Association published Thursday in Circulation(link opens in new window) provides an update…

Given only a 30 percent chance at birth of ever walking or talking, now-8-year-old Maggie Maine sings, dances and even plays the piano. (Photo courtesy of Maine family) The day after Maggie Maine was born, doctors told her parents there was a 70 percent chance she’d never walk, talk or be able to feed or bathe herself….

(halfpoint/envato elements) A mother can pass down a lot of physical traits to her child, such as her smile, eye color, or the shape of her nose. According to new research, she may also be passing along something not as obvious – a vulnerability for developing heart disease. A Dutch study published Wednesday in the…

(microgen/envato elements) More people are stepping in to help give CPR when someone’s heart stops, and first responders are intervening at higher levels – but survival rates are higher for men who have cardiac arrests than for women, a recent study suggests. Based on data for 8,100 people in 16 North Carolina counties from 2010…

Alice Hinrichs was diagnosed with atrial fibrillation several years after her husband, Kurt, survived a stroke. (Photo courtesy of Alice Hinrichs) Alice Hinrichs woke up feeling miserable. She was exhausted, nauseated and her left arm hurt. She thought she was sick, so called her doctor’s office for an appointment. Instead, her doctor urged her to go to…

(Marina113/Getty Images) How tall you are might be a good indicator of risk for the gnarled, bulging varicose veins that can develop in the legs and ankles, a new study shows. The analysis — the largest looking at the drivers of varicose veins — found that certain genes that determine a person’s height are linked…

(monkeybusiness/envato elements) Arterial stiffness among people with mild cognitive impairments could put them at higher risk for progressing to dementia, which may include Alzheimer’s disease, according to a new study exploring the connection between the brain and vascular health. The French study, published Friday in the American Heart Association journal Hypertension(link opens in new window),…

(Alex9500/Envato Elements) Eating a diet that’s heavy in fruits, vegetables, fish and nuts – what’s called a Mediterranean diet – may significantly reduce the risk of stroke among women, even those at high risk for cardiovascular disease, a new study shows. The study – one of the largest and longest to look at the connection…